Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Lord Comforted Us

Hello Family:

Friday, as I was reading the Book of Mormon on my flight home from San Diego, I was impressed with this scripture:
Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success. (Alma 26:27)

May I share a few thoughts I jotted down in my journal?
So many times I have felt depressed and inadequate as I'm sure all people do.

Just as the brothers were about to give up and go home, just when they were depressed to the brink of despair, the Lord comforted them. They endured much. When all seemed hopeless, light shined through the darkness ad comfort came.

The Lord didn't remove the burdens. He asked them to proceed, bearing their burdens with patience.

Their faith was tried. They persevered. Comfort and strength came. They achieved success.

We must always press forward. We must always have faith that He will bring success and comfort.

As we know, the sons of Mosiah went on to have great success in their work to serve the Lamanite people. They did endure in faith, even though they suffered terrible opposition and privation. They did receive power to bear their burdens. The Lord sustained them. They had wonderful experiences as they participated in the miraculous conversion and transformation of thousands of people.

Ammon described the great joy they experienced while in the Lord's service this way:
Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began ... (Alma 26:35)

I pray that each of us, as we struggle through our everyday lives, even though we feel depressed and lonely and fearful, will remember the sons of Mosiah and follow their example. As we turn to the Lord, he will comfort us. He will sustain us. He will enable our success. He will bring us great joy.

Love,

Dad/Mark

PS. All of the Zion Family quotations can be found here.

No comments: